Barbecue Chicken Pizza


I've learned a few lessons working on this blog. One of them being how food can trigger memories.  Lots of recipes in this blog do that for me. They remind me of home, a special people, a blessed event or just a good time. When I found this recipe the first memory that came to my mind was sitting on the patio at Pete & Dewey's Planet in downtown Cleveland, drinking a beer, preparing to go to an Indians game during the mid-nineties when the Tribe was a perennial playoff contender -- which feels like a 100 years ago. The memory I now have of Barbecue Chicken Pizza is finding our dog Henry on the kitchen floor eating the left over pizza, foil and all. Have I mentioned I hate my dog? No? Well, I do!
 
Ingredients
3 cups of cooked cubed or shredded chicken
1 1/4cups barbecue sauce -- We like Sweet Baby Ray's Original Sauce for this recipe.
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 inch pre-baked pizza crust
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend without the seasoning (Colby, cheddar, Monterrey Jack)

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • In a large bowl mix together cooked cubed or shredded chicken and barbecue sauce.
  • Spread chicken mixture evenly over pizza crust, then top with cheese and onions.
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Servings
8 slices

A Broken Oven Tip
Looking for a hearty appetizer for a party?  Make bite size pizzas using mini bagels or sliced baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment