English Pea and Edamame Salad




There is a deli near my office I adore called Picc-a-Deli.They have the most creative sandwiches, salads and wraps and it's by far one my favorites lunch spots when I'm on the West side of Cleveland for my weekly office visit. During the Summer they started serving this pea and edamame salad and I just loved it. I picked apart the ingredients and searched online for variations, made some adjustment and this is the result. Some people freak because of the edamame, but it really is a tasty salad and a refreshing change from the usual pasta salad or cole slaw.

Ingredients
10 oz. package frozen peas
16 oz package of frozen shelled edamame -- Seapoint Farms is my favorite.
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped water chestnuts
12 slices (about 1 lb) thick sliced bacon , chopped and cooked
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  • Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook in a large deep skillet over medium heat until evenly brown.Do not overcook, the bacon should have a little bit of chew to it.
  • Drain on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
  • In medium bowl combine thawed and drained peas and edamame, celery, red onion and water chestnuts. 
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Combine sour cream and mayonnaise, mix well and gently stir into to the salad.
  • Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
  • Stir in cooked bacon before serving.

Servings
This recipe is great for large parties or potlucks because it feeds an army of people. I don't have exact measurements, but I'm estimating it yields 20 to 24, 1/2 cup servings.

A Broken Oven Tip
Substitute cashews or Spanish peanuts for the water chestnuts.  Toast and coarsely chop the nuts then stir into the salad with the bacon before serving. Totally wish I could make the salad this way more often, it's so tasty. Unfortunately we have nut allergies abound in our family which mean we omit nuts from recipes a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment