Kristen Stewart's Tortilla Soup


It's time to let my freak flag briefly fly. For those of you who don't already know, I have a bit of an obsession with the Twilight Saga. It doesn't matter if it's the books, movies or the actors who play the characters in the movies I know way too much about this topic.  I know what you're saying, "It can't be that bad." and I promise you it is. Let me conduct a brief experiement by asking a few questions to prove my point. How many of you even know about Midnight Sun? If I say, The Couve or 100 Monkeys do you know what those phrases means? How about the name Kellen Lutz?  Yeah, I didn't think most of you would know those answers, but I do and sadly a helluva lot more.  If you're interested in the answers post a comment and I'll answer them.  Better yet, if you know the answers, you post them in the comments. It would be nice to see if I'm not the only loon out there!

In order to feed my addiction I devour any news and information related to the saga, so when I learned Kristen Stewart, the young woman who portrays Bella Swan (soon to be Cullen ) was the face of  February Vogue I had to pick up a copy. The article was brief, the clothes beautiful and Kristen stunning, but the take away from the article for me was that KStew makes a mean Tortilla Soup and Vogue was kind enough to post the recipe on their website. The soup is deliciously low in fat and calories and perfect for a cold day like today or everyday here since November for that matter.

Kristen, if by chance you Googled yourself and happened to come across this post, you get one of our special Broken Oven shout outs "Hi Kristen! One more thing --would you share your loquat pie recipe with me too?

Ingredients
Soup
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 small yellow onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 jalapeƱo peppers seeded and diced chopped
2 green peppers seeded and chopped.
15 ounce can of diced tomatoes -- Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes add a little flavor punch.
4 cups chicken broth

Condiments
2 teaspoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of garlic salt
3 Tablespoons of chili powder
1 avocado diced
2 flour tortillas cut into strips
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lime cut into 8 wedges
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
  • Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
  • Cook chopped onion, minced garlic and cumin for a few minutes, until the onions are translucent.
  • Add chopped green peppers and cook until tender, about 2-4 minutes.
  • Stir in diced tomatoes, chopped jalapeƱos and chicken broth.
  • Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring periodically.
  • Cut tortillas into thin strips and grill for a few minutes until toasted.
  • Serve the soup in bowls and top with condiments.

Servings
6 to 8 servings

A Broken Oven Tip
I added 2 cups of cooked diced chicken to this recipe. It made it a little bit heartier while still maintaining it's healthy qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment