Quadruple C Summer Salad


What do the four C's stand for you ask? Curried Cranberry and Citrus Couscous of course! My sister-in-law made this for a family get together and I absolutely loved it. She is incredibly busy that I didn't want to bother asking her for the recipe so I kind of threw this one together using my taste buds. I think I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself.

This salad is a perfect side dish for an evening meal or by itself for a light lunch. It tastes best after resting in the fridge for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld together and the cranberries to plump up a bit, which makes it a perfect dish to bring for a pot luck Summer cookout.

Ingredients
3 cups cooked plain couscous
1 cup dried cranberries
14.5 ounce can of garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
10 ounce box of frozen peas thawed, rinsed and drained
1 large orange zested and juice squeezed (2 tablespoons of zest and 1/2 cup of juice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder

Directions
  • In a large bowl mix together cooked couscous, dried cranberries, rinsed garbanzo beans and thawed peas.
  • Zest approximately 2 tablespoons of orange peel into a small mixing bowl.
  • Squeeze a 1/2 cup of  orange juice into the bowl with the zest. 
  • Whisk the olive oil and curry powder into the orange mixture then pour over couscous and stir to combine.
  • Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Servings
10 to 12

A Broken Oven Tip
If your family is scared off by the couscous, substitute it with pastina or a wild rice blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment